Thursday, 25 August 2016

Seeking young explorers. Enderby Trust applications now open.

#expeditioncruising .


Enderby Scholarship Background



Starting in 1830 the London based Enderby & Co outfitted vessels for commercial voyages of discovery, captains were expected to go above and beyond their normal duties in the services of discover & exploration. A series of remarkable voyages began with the 1830 departure of the Tula and the Lively, on this voyage Captain John Biscoe discovered land at 67ºS and named it Enderby Land. In 1838 John Balleny, sailing to the Southern Ocean on the Eliza Scott accompanied by the Sabrina discovered the Balleny Islands and Sabrina Land. A stalwart of Enderby & Co, Charles Enderby, was a founding member of the Royal Geographical Society and in 1841 he was admitted to the Royal Society of London for his “promotion of geographical discovery in the Antarctic regions”.

Enderby Trust works in conjunction with New Zealand’s premier expedition travel company, Heritage Expeditions, to offer scholarship positions aboard expeditions to the Subantarctic Islands and Antarctica aboard the Spirit of Enderby.


Refer to www.heritage-expeditions.com for vessel and expedition itinerary information.

Enderby Trust was founded by the Russ Family knowing the opportunities for young people to visit these regions are limited but believing it is vitally important that young people experience this amazing region. The Trustee’s hope scholarship participants will share their experiences and enthusiasm with other people and grow the awareness of the Southern Ocean and Antarctica. Each expedition is accompanied by a team of naturalists and biologists to enhance the learning possibilities.

Application Process 

In less than four hundred words you must persuade the trustees why you should receive a scholarship and how the experience will benefit both you and the region. The trustees encourage creativity & passion, so let this shine through in your application. Applications can be submitted in the medium that best suits you! 

Applications should include: 1) Full name and Date of Birth (proof of age may be required) 2) Address including daytime and after hours telephone numbers 3) Scholarship applied for (Name and Departure Date) 4) Submission expressing interest within the Southern Ocean (see above). 5) Where you heard about the Enderby Trust Scholarship 6) Name and address of one referee 7) Declaration that you have sufficient funds to pay the contribution required. 

Submit applications to: 
The Trustees Enderby Trust 
P.O. Box 7218, 
Christchurch 8240 
New Zealand

Email: enderby@hotmail.com 


Applicant Requirements:

Successful applicants for the scholarships are expected to make a contribution to the expedition cost. This equates to 30% of the advertised cost of the expedition, Enderby Trust contributes the remaining 70% plus applicable government landing fees. Successful applicants are required to submit a presentation in a mutually agreed style on a topic of their choice within three months of their travel. 

Recipients are reminded that a goal of the trust is too encourage greater interest in and understanding of the Southern Ocean, its landscapes, history and biological diversity. The submitted presentation should be in keeping with the aims and goals of the trust. 

Closing dates for applications: Monday 17th October 2016